2019 URANTIA MIDWEST CONFERENCE – FOR ALL STUDENTS OF THE URANTIA BOOK
ADULTS $99 PER PERSON
CHILDREN 17 YRS
AND UNDER ARE FREE!
Maximum Capacity =
80 Adults + 20 Children
- Select “Midwest Conference” from the drop-down menu options.
- Select “Share Contact Info” to receive your registration confirmation.
- PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted pay methods.
- PayPal membership is offered, but NOT required to make payment.
- Leave the name of each attendee that is being registered in “Notes.”
- See other options below for registering if you should encounter any problems.
- You will sent a confirmation letter asking if you have any food preferences.
- If children are attending with you, we will need full name, age, and shirt size.
TO REGISTER (BY OTHER METHODS):
CONTACT REGISTRAR – RICK LYON
(if you experience any problems with the website, or wish to pay by a different method).
EMAIL: email@example.com or PHONE: 765-366-7203.
Checks / Money Orders (made out to GLMUA) can be mailed to the following address:
2019 URANTIA MIDWEST CONFERENCE
c/o Greater Lake Michigan Urantia Association
Post Office Box 1112
Mishawaka, Indiana 46544
EVENT DATES: FRI-SAT-SUN, AUGUST 16-17-18, 2019
CONFERENCE THEME: “THE INEVITABILITIES ~ BURDENS TO BLESSINGS”
“The uncertainties of life and the vicissitudes of existence do not in any manner contradict the concept of the universal sovereignty of God. All evolutionary creature life is beset by certain inevitabilities that while wise in their manner of teaching and problem-solving development make life seem harsh and confusing to us mortals. The ultimate question being: “Why do bad things happen to good people?” That is sometimes followed by: “If God loves me, then why does He not remove the cruel and unjust situations of life?” “Why didn’t Jesus just heal everyone?”
Uncertainty with security is the essence of the Paradise adventure. The Inevitabilities illustrate the uncertainty we have unified with the security we need–uncertainty in time and in mind, uncertainty as to the events of our lives, uncertainty as an inexperienced citizen of the universe – “child” of God; security in spirit and in eternity, security in the unqualified trust of the creature son in the divine compassion and infinite love of the Universal Father; security as an ascending child of an all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving Father.
Our indwelling Adjuster cannot stop or even materially alter our career struggles of time; the Adjuster cannot lessen the hardships of life as we journey through this world of toil. The divine indweller can only patiently look on as we fight the battles of life as it is lived on Urantia. But the valiant Adjuster will fight with us and for us if we invite and allow him to do so. We can be comforted and inspired, enthralled and intrigues, if we allow our Adjuster to show us the real motive and the eternal purpose of all this difficult, uphill struggle with the commonplace problems of daily life.
Through the Inevitabilities, we see both the hardships of life but the reason and purpose for them. How can we calm and strengthen ourselves to bear these burdens and work with our Adjuster to turn them into blessings and recognize the benefits and value of this forward struggle? How do we conquer our fears of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, avoid doubts of failure or perplexing confusion, and not falter or question our status and standing as a child of God?
At the 2019 Urantia Midwest Conference, we hope to learn how to recognize the spiritual counterpart of all these strenuous life struggles; allow our Adjuster to strengthen us with spiritual truths while we wrestle with the difficulties of such a life on such a planet, be encouraged by the heavenly helper to cheer us with a clear vision of the eternal life as we gaze in perplexity at the problems of the day. We hope that by attending our event you will be enlightened and inspired by a cosmic viewpoint while you toil amidst the handicaps of time and flounder in the maze of uncertainties.
“That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing — absolutely nothing — is impossible.”
EVENT VENUE – HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS
1715 Parkway Plaza Drive, Normal, Illinois 61751
Hotel Front Desk: 1-309-862-1600
Hotel Website: www.hiexpress.com/Normal/HIExpress
Normal, IL – a true midwestern town with the feel and hospitality midwesterners are known for. We invite all students of The Urantia Book to join us and participate in this event.
ACCOMMODATIONS – Hotel accommodations are NOT included in the registration fee and must be made with the hotel at the phone number listed.
A block of 20 rooms has been reserved at a special room rate of $99 per night for our guests. Make sure to mention “Urantia Midwest Conference” to receive your discounted room rate. A limited selection of room types remain for the discounted rate. You may be asked to accept a king room with roll-out bed to receive the $99 rate. Those rooms are still available.
Our block of rooms will only be held until August 1st, so please make your reservations soon!
The hotel is willing to adjust check-in time for those with early flights – just let them know when making your room reservations. CHECK-IN: 3 P.M. / CHECK-OUT: 11 A.M.
Breakfast Buffet is included with your Room Rental in the Library / Breakfast Room. The Hotel is Pet Friendly (Pet Fee applies). Free Internet. Great Pool / Patio Area! Exercise / Weight Room. Handicapped Accessible. Free Parking for Guests. Electric Car Charging Station. Convenient to last-minute shopping and eateries. Panera Bread and a 24 / 7 Walmart are adjacent to the hotel.
SCHEDULE: (schedule is subject to change)
All times listed are CENTRAL TIME. More detailed info will be included in conference folders.
AUGUST 16 – FRIDAY:
- 12:00 PM – Conference Team arrives / sets up and decorates the FLORENTINE ROOM.
- CHECK-IN to your hotel room upon arrival.
- 3:00 PM – Conference Registration – see Susan Lyon in the LIBRARY / BREAKFAST ROOM. Attendees are welcome to socialize in the LIBRARY / LOBBY / OR POOL / PATIO AREAS.
- 3:00 – 5:45 PM – UAUS Council of Local Presidents Meeting begins in the FLORENTINE ROOM. We welcome the CLP and appreciate being chosen as the site of their 2019 Annual Meeting! Conference Attendees are welcome to observe.
- 5:45 PM – Meet Rick Lyon in LOBBY if you need a ride to the restaurant for dinner.
- 6:00 PM – Dinner out at FIESTA RANCHERA (a large room has been reserved for our group). Reminder: dinner is at your own expense). If you would please – enter 2013 Veterans Pkwy, Suite 212, Bloomington, IL 61704 into your GPS to find the restaurant, a five minute drive.
- 7:45 PM – Opening Welcome & Remarks back at the hotel FLORENTINE ROOM after dinner. Alice Wood introduces songs that will be used in the Sunday morning worship session.
- 8:00 PM – Children meet Children’s Program Leaders – Kat Kinnamon and Landon Arkens in the LOBBY for social time / movie night (returning to their parents in the LOBBY at 10:00 PM).
- 8:00 PM – Entertainment – FLORENTINE ROOM – You will experience a rare glimpse into the past, as our special guest artist, Steve Sawyer, performs his character impersonation of Bill Sadler Jr. speaking about the revelation (material from audio tape lecture #22).
- 8:30 PM – Steve Sawyer will present his beautiful art4God, which will also be on display in the FLORENTINE ROOM for your enjoyment during the entire event. Items may be purchased.
- 9:00 PM – Informal social time. Musicians attending are welcome to have an open jam session.
- 10:00 PM – Parents pick-up children in the LOBBY.
- 10:00 PM – End of day.
AUGUST 17 – SATURDAY:
- 6:30 AM – 9:00 AM – Breakfast is provided for hotel guests in LIBRARY / BREAKFAST ROOM.
- 7:00 AM – 7:30 AM – Jimmer Prieto: “Space Respiration: Praying & Worship in Motion.” Everyone is invited to rise early and meet in the FLORENTINE ROOM.
- 8:30 AM – Morning Conference Check-in begins with Rick Lyon in the FLORENTINE ROOM.
- 9:00 AM – 9:05 AM – Alice Wood introduces songs and music, to familiarize the group, that will be used in the Sunday worship session in the FLORENTINE ROOM.
- 9:05 AM – Children meet Children’s Program Leaders in the LOBBY for planned morning activities (returning to their parents in the FLORENTINE ROOM for lunch at noon).
- 9:05 AM – Benet Rutenberg calls the group to order and introduces the Event Team. Full day program and workshops featuring: “The Inevitabilities ~ Burdens to Blessings.”
- 9:15 AM – Benet Rutenberg and Michael Painter give instructions to set up the program and introduce the Facilitator Team.
- 9:30 AM – Benet Rutenberg introduces the first three inevitabilities: courage, altruism, hope.
- 9:45 AM – Break out into discussion groups.
- 11:00 AM – 15 minute BREAK.
- 11:15 AM – Michael Painter leads group summaries discussion.
- 12:00 PM – Lunch provided onsite in the FLORENTINE ROOM catered by AVANTI’S ITALIAN.
- 12:45 PM – Children meet Children’s Program Leaders in the LIBRARY / BREAKFAST ROOM for planned afternoon activities (returning to their parents in the FLORENTINE ROOM for dinner at 5:45 PM).
- 1:00 PM – Afternoon Program for Adults continues in the FLORENTINE ROOM. Benet Rutenberg introduces the next three inevitabilities: faith, love of truth, idealism.
- 1:15 PM – Break out into discussion groups.
- 2:30 PM – Michael Painter leads group summaries discussion.
- 3:15 PM – 15 minute BREAK.
- 3:30 PM – Benet Rutenberg introduces the third group of inevitabilities: loyalty, unselfishness, and pleasure.
- 3:45 PM – Break out into discussion groups.
- 5:00 PM – Michael Painter leads group summaries discussion.
- 5:45 PM – Wrap up discussion. Alice Wood closes with songs to be used in Sunday worship.
- 6:00 PM – Dinner out at IMPERIAL BUFFET (a large room has been reserved for our group) Reminder: dinner is at your own expense. If you would please – enter 1950 E. College Avenue, Normal, IL 61761 into your GPS to find the restaurant. Directions will be in your folder.
- 7:30 PM – Social Time / Entertainment back at the hotel FLORENTINE ROOM after dinner.
- 7:30 PM – Children meet Children’s Program Leaders in the LOBBY for social / movie night (returning to their parents in the LOBBY at 10 PM).
- 8:00 PM – Bob Solone Concert (in the FLORENTINE ROOM).
- 10:00 PM – Parents pickup children in the LOBBY.
- 10:00 PM – End of day.
The Urantia Midwest Conference Program will consist of three study periods. In each study period, Benet Rutenberg will introduce three of the Inevitabilities. We will then break out into discussion workshops with an assigned leader facilitating each discussion. Michael Painter will lead group summaries at the end of each study period. Benet Rutenberg and Michael Painter are serving as our Event Program Directors, illuminating the “Inevitabilities” with parallel quotes found from “fruits of the spirit”, the “Havona Citizens”, and from the philosophical mortal counterpart of “morontia mota.” Facilitators and study materials will be assigned to each break-out group throughout the day.
AUGUST 18 – SUNDAY:
- 6:30 – 9:00 AM – Breakfast provided for hotel guests in the LIBRARY / BREAKFAST ROOM.
- 7:00 – 7:30 AM – Jimmer Prieto: “Creative Imagination: Praying & Worship in Motion” in the FLORENTINE ROOM.
- 9:00 AM – Half day program / Benet Rutenberg calls group to order. Alice Wood will conduct a “Unique Worship Experience” adapted to the Urantia teachings, in which children participate.
- 9:30 AM – Children meet Children’s Program Leaders in the FLORENTINE ROOM for morning activities (returning to their parents in the FLORENTINE ROOM at noon for lunch.)
- 9:30 AM – Jimmer Prieto: “The Lord’s Prayer Workshop: Praying & Worshipping according to the UB Teachings.”
- 10:30 AM – 30 minute BREAK to check out. (Hotel assesses $49 late fee assessed after 11 AM)
- 11:00 AM – Jimmer Prieto: “The Lord’s Prayer” presentation continues.
- 11:45 AM – Closing comments.
- 12:00 PM – BBQ Lunch provided onsite will be catered by: A TO Z’s CATERING.
- 12:30 PM – Remembrance Supper & Celebration of Jesus’ Life with birthday cake.
- 1:00 PM – Casual Social Time.
- 1:30 PM – Farewell to our Guests – Safe Travels to Everyone! Cleanup.
- 3:00 PM – Leave the FLORENTINE ROOM.
Breakfast: Buffet breakfasts provided by the hotel are included with your discounted room rates.
Lunch: Lunches will be provided daily onsite, and are included in the registration fee.
Dinner: Group dinners planned for Friday and Saturday at local restaurants a short distance from Holiday Inn Express are at your own expense and NOT included in the registration fee.
Children will eat all meals with their parents and the children have all onsite meals free of charge.
Children’s Program: For children ages 2 to 17 years old. We will not be equipped to care for children under 2, who must remain in the care of their parents, but we encourage you to bring all children and grandchildren. Educational and inspirational children’s activities are being planned to compliment and parallel the adult program. We want this to be a family experience. Please advise the names and ages of all children who will be attending with registered adults.
Event Coordinator: Janet Guaderrama
Design/Promotion: Susan Lyon
Registrar: Rick Lyon
Financial Officer: Tamara Strumfeld
Program Leaders: Benet Rutenberg, Michael Painter
Children’s Program: Katherine Kinnamon, Landon Arkens
Worship Leaders: Jimmer Prieto, Alice Wood
Social/Entertainment: Bob Solone
Snacks & Drinks: You may bring snacks and drinks into the meeting rooms, and your hotel room will have a small refrigerator to keep foods fresh for those with special dietary needs.
Volunteer Service: The Midwest Conference Planning Committee welcomes any help you can give. During the times we are setting up or cleaning up, we are especially grateful to those who step forward to offer their assistance. We have a great group in the Midwest, and are counting on their continued support.
Central Illinois Regional Airport – Bloomington – www.cira.com/
Take cab, Uber, Lyft, rental car, or contact the event organizers to possibly arrange for a pickup.
Peoria International Airport – www.flypia.net/
A charter bus to Normal Uptown Station is $16 one way / $32 round trip with online booking. This is about a 90 minute bus ride. Take cab, Uber, Lyft, rental car, or contact the event organizers to possibly arrange for a pickup from the bus station in Normal.
Chicago O’Hare International – www.flychicago.com/ohare/home/pages/default.aspx
Normal, Illinois is about a 2 hour drive southwest of Chicago O’Hare Airport.
Very accommodating and comfortable, Peoria Charter buses pick up at O’Hare Airport in Chicago four times a day and drop at the Normal Amtrak/bus station 9 minutes from the hotel.
$31 one way / $62 round trip with online booking.
24/7 Call Center: 800-448-0572
All Star Taxi – Peoria: 309-697-2227
East Peoria Taxi Company: Peoria: 309-222-8818
Checker Cab Bloomington Normal: 309-828-0123
Red Top Cab Bloomington Normal: 309-827-9707
We really hope to see you at the conference!!!!!! It’s going to be great!